Sunday, November 17, 2013

The Big day!

I was a nervous wreck the morning of the race, and was awake at 4:30 am...since I knew I was not going back to sleep I got up and starting prepping for the race...water, snacks, watch, breakfast, etc etc..

Up and out the door at 5:30 am, I headed out to get to the parking location and get the shuttle into Palos Verdes. I was at the event space about 45 minutes early and got a chance to again eat, and get situated. By the time it was run time, my nervous energy was anxious to get it started already! I hugged my sister and headed into the starting lineup.

Thankfully, I did not really look at the course too hard before I signed up, as I had no idea what lay ahead. We set out for 1 .5 miles south before turning back north to the real challengin course that would take us through Lunada Bay and Rancho Palos Verdes Estates...and a roller coaster of a run.

The hills were one after the other, winding through the residential streets with amazing ocean views and mansions but still,  one hill after another....crazy challenging.

I knew on most of the hills, it was best to not run all the way up each and instead save my energy for the peak and hitting them faster so I was not burning out early. I watched many a person try to run the hills only to be passed by me after we reached the top. 

Mile 7, I was dying to go to the bathroom and thankfully they had a random port-a-potty on a corner, I ran up to it only to have to wait for the person inside to come out- he was clearly in no hurry. I lost some time but hoped to make it up at some point later. The advice I was given earlier was still ringing in my ears- 'just enjoy the race, and forget about the time - anything is a personal record'. Great advice and I had no idea how hard of a course this hilly run would be for my first half so I just decided to enjoy the views and get there when I get there...I wanted to enjoy my hard work and finish feeling strong.

By mile 9, I was feeling the challenge in my body, and already digging deep to keep going....these hills were hard and my asthma meds were working for me but also racing my heart rate. When I saw the mile 10 sign, I was so happy and telling myself- " You got this! Only 3 miles left, you ran these easily during your weekly runs!" 

Mile 11, I was feeling great knowing I only had 2 miles left and when I got to mile 12- I was elated....until I turned the corner and saw just past the sign....the highest, steepest hill all day lay ahead just after the sign...my heart sank. I was tired and had no idea how on earth I was going to tackle that hill when my goal had been to kill the last mile fast. I decided to walk most of that killer hill and not waste my energy trying to run up it. A lot of people around me decided the same, but even walking that hill was challenging. one guy got out his iphone & used the level app to see the degree angle on the hill- people were shocked how steep it was.

Once I was nearly at the top, I started to run, as most of the remainder of the race was downhill, with only one incline before the final decent to the finish line. I was tired, but ready to get this race finished. The last bit downhill was all adrenaline pushing me. Apparently a couple people collapsed near the finish straightaway so I ended up running through a fire truck and 2 ambulances - just trying to concentrate on my finish ahead.

I was so elated when I hit the home stretch, I did it! It was amazing...I was so excited to run through that gateway and stop...I was tired and thrilled but had to get the timer off my shoe and get some more water. I hugged my sister and  described the last hill, she said many people were talking about it when they ran into the finish. She said the ambulences were for a couple people that passed out right after one another on the decent down.

The adrenaline was gone now, and suddenly, I was unable to catch my breath, it was frightening. I took off all my gear and walked away from my sister, trying to get it together. My breath was short and not in my lungs, it felt like I was hyperventilating. I looked over at the ambulances thinking I might need them too in a moment, as I might very well pass out. I could feel my lungs were clear, so the inhaler was useless, I decided I needed to calm down and deep breathe though my nose. I had to try to get a deep breath in my lungs and slow my heart. All the asthma meds I took before the run may very well have helped me but also working against me at this point. 

A lifetime of asthma teaches you when not to panic and when you need to ask for help....I was trying to help myself, but fearing I might have pushed myself too hard having just been so sick. My sister noticed a woman running in after me, into her husbands arms then quickly passing out with him catching her before she hit the ground. 

I was in my own world, trying to catch my breath and calm my body down..a few moments later and the deep nasal breaths made the difference...I was finally feeling good, and finally soaking up the moment. I did it!

Wow..I really did it.

All the training really paid off. I was so happy, it was done and I could rest and take it in...I ran a crazy roller coaster and did what I never thought I was ever capable of doing! Wow.

All the good runs, bad runs, hard days, and longs runs- it all adds up. Amazing.

I am taking the rest of November to get totally well before I pick up the training again in December for my next half marathon next Feb..the one that was originally going to be my first...who knew it could all happen so much faster..I am excited to take on the next one, I can worry about time and pace next time...the first one is showing yourself  you can do it! And now I know , I really can!


No comments: