Thursday, November 7, 2013

Closing in on the goal

I am not gonna lie- the last 3 weeks have probably been the worst in my training- not the distances but the additional road blocks and obstacles. The mental toll they are taking as I approach the starting line in about a week, has affected me more than I would like to admit.

Today, after 3 weeks of fighting this bug, and it sinking deeper into my chest, I went to the Dr and started antibiotics. Clearly, the virus was not running it's course and leaving and instead making a home in my lungs- no bueno.  The prognosis: bronchitis. Z-pack meds and I should be feeling better in 5 days, just in time for the race. My bruised and scraped knees are improved from the fall and I know in my heart I am on the mend- finally.

I was only able to do one 3 mile run this week and skipped my run this morning for time in the Dr office instead. I am hoping the long run this Saturday- 8 miles, come easier than the last few long runs. I am counting on having a stronger week as I lead up to race day next Saturday.

I reached out to an online friend who founded RUNspiration- a wonderfully inspiring site for runners in need of positive vibes and stries for advice as she noted her half marathon anniversary. Instead of offering her experience- she did one better and reached out to the RUNspiration community and asked them to offer advice to this first time half marathoner...a few minutes later and there were nearly 200 comments from all over the country offering sage advice and positive words. 

This is exactly what I needed. It really made me feel like I got this- that all that noise in my head is just noise. After I checked back on the comments today, there are now over 400 wonderful words of advice.

Some of my favorites included: 
"don't forget to smile, and take it all in. When it gets tough, look around and and use the support from everyone cheering you on."
"You got this, you trained for this, 13.1 is attainable"
"Run your own race, not the with the person next to you"
"It's a mind game- one foot in front of the other"
"You go girl"
"It's automatically a personal record- don't worry about your time, enjoy the race, the people, and be prepared to sign up for the next one- they are addicting"
"Trust your training, don't worry about being passed or passing others. Just run your best. And after you finish, soak it up- you did it! And stretch stretch stretch some more!"

I will be rereading this post just before the race! 

I am living in hope and trust in the work I have done to date.

No comments: