Sunday, October 27, 2013

12 miles!

Holy cr@p! I ran 12 miles!!!!
And while still recovering from a virus! Yes, I realize not the smartest decision to stick to my training plan while still recouping- BUT none the less amazing to myself.

I got up Saturday morning and under a cloudy sky, I decided to eat breakfast, fuel up and have some coffee & see how I feel about a run...the week behind me was all fatigue, fever and asthma. I knew sticking to my training plan was a dicey idea but I thought- either Sat or Sunday I hoped to do the 12 miles long planned. I used my inhaler, grabbed my water and snacks and headed out.

I decided my goal was to run at least 10 miles but running was harder than I planned and I was feeling like my body was not at its best. I knew this was the virus hanging on so I decided to run as much as I can and as slow as needed. I was thinking as I was in the first few miles that this run might be only a 5-6 mile run...but as I got to 4 miles, I knew that meant 4 back so I was at least at 8 miles so somewhere between 4 and 5 miles I realized I was pushing it and turned around...as I got back in my home area, I was already past 8 miles so I knew I could push myself to 10...and I did. At 10 miles, I thought, it's only one more extra mile out and back to get to my long awaited 12 miles so I decided after going back & forth mentally to quit or keep going...to just dig deep for the last 2 miles. I was hoping I did not fall short and give out at 11 miles- so still jogging between a 11;30 to 12:00 pace due to my body's fatigue, I toughed it out like never before. To make sure I was not pushing myself too hard- I took 1 minute walk breaks every 10 minutes and walked a few extra times at the end of the run to catch my breath.

I ran and extended into my other neighborhoods, waiting to hear my audio prompt that I hit 12 miles. I never wanted a run to end more than that moment and when my iPhone announced 12 miles I stopped, caught my breath and walked the rest of the way home. I was never so tired and proud in my whole life! Also the amazing thing- no knee pain, it had come and left, no hip pain, no foot pain...I pushed past it for the first time ever! Amazing- how you can push past the point when you think you can't go any further..you can push yourself a little farther and still again.  I felt like I might cry, emotions were right at the surface, when I was nearly maxed out but pushed on..and now I see tears in my future at my half finish line! 

I am still feeling like I need some time to recoup further, so in spite of a strenuous run- I might still skip Malibu and do the PV half instead so I can be 100% plus when it's Half Marathon D-day! 

Now I know I can do this 13.1 mile run but am still scared at how hard I will have to push myself to complete it. I am excited though to hit that finish line. 


View from the Hermosa Beach green belt path.

No comments: